The very simplest way to build anything onto a door would have been to remove it and then work on it while it was laying down flat. But I chose to struggle with it vertically. Duh! The projection/bay, (Thank you Keli, you smart cookie), is very simple. You add the floors, as an extension from the main building, into the door and then build the walls around it.
It's essential to get both floors in the door and building to meet, if you want to maintain an illusion of one complete floor when the door is closed. I realised without any supporting walls under the second and third floor, the wood bowed ever so slightly downward. So before gluing the bays together, I cut some room height scraps of wood and put them in the building so that the floors were true. Then, after at least a half dozen checks, I glued everything into place.
Do you see the pink paper? That is a very technical bit of kit I hope you realise, which I used to wedge the wood into the gap so that I could free my hands and decide on the height of each window 😄
This is the view from inside with the door shut. As much as I like to see a finished building, I love this part when everything starts to come together. Despite the rough appearance of the plywood, you know that soon it will be transformed with a little plaster, paint and trims.
The middle projection/bay, which I've decided to glue and screw directly onto the right hand door, will house the main entrance and an opening for an oriel window. My mate Charlie, (who was part of the team that built the UK side of the Channel Tunnel, so I trust his judgement), said the piano hinge would easily bare the weight that I'm adding to it as long as I didn't hang the door open for years on end. Duely noted!
This time, I used my noggin for the centre third and built it flat on a table.
Exactly the same principle as the other two doors; cut a peak with steps on either side at the top - routed out the oriel window - used a jigsaw to get the curve in the doorway and glued the sides. This part is slightly shorter and deeper than the other doors so that it stand out from the building. It's amazing how you solve puzzles as you go. I needed to sand the curve in the door since my jigsaw technique was less than satisfactory so I wrapped sandpaper around a tin of paint 😊
Below is a picture of the right hand door glued and with 14 woodscrews to secure it. It's solid. Really solid.
The right hand door closes over the left and hides the opening.
I'm getting there, slowly but surely
Have a great weekend