Wednesday, 3 May 2017

Gothic Manor pt 2

The next step of the build is working out how to make doors for the front. I want them to open fully so that I have complete access to the interior but I have to keep in mind a) how far those doors will swing out when they're open b) what will be attached to them and c) how to secure the doors in place when it's closed.
I really love the idea of having bays...is that the right word? Probably not but you know what I mean; a variation in the depth of the building like in the picture below. So that's kinda what I'm going for.

Redworth Hall Hotel

I decided to split the doors into three sections with one third to the left of the opening, two thirds to the right. That way, it won't swing too far into a room and the hinges don't have to bare the weight of one huge door.
This is the evolution of the left and right doors. I cut two pieces the same width from the 12mm plywood and then shaped the top into a peak. I cut a step into either side of the peak for no other reason than it breaks up the points in the roof and looked visually appealing when I did it. I'd like to say I planned it that way but for the most part, I build something and then eyeball it to see if it's a keeper or a throw-e-awayer.


Each door has a porthole window in it which I cut with a 40mm holesaw. When you buy these cutters you usually get the arbor with it which allows you to use it with an electric hand drill too, so don't worry about investing in a huge drill press if you want round windows.



I routed channels into the doors for some reglular ol' piano hinge and then the last bit of cutting had me a-pondering. If I wanted to make bays or whatever you call them, I needed to extend the floor outwards into the doors. As I saw it I could do this one of two ways
  1. Cut the entire section out and add the floors back in once I'd built the bay
  2. Cut two sections out for the first and second storey and then add the floors and the bay
I opted for what I hoped would be the quickest. This is the build still unglued and moved onto a spare shelf in my storeroom so I can work on it in peace during my lunch hour. The people I work with have become very curious all of a sudden and are eager to tell me how they would build a dollshouse 😉


Next part: adding the whatever they're called to the doors and making the middle section.

Ta ta for now

Pepper :0)

34 comments:

  1. ¡Debe ser una gozada poder trabajar en un espacio grande y con esas herramientas! Me gusta mucho el estilo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Es tan agradable tener un poco de espacio para una vez. Me pregunto cuántas casas mi jefe me permitirá hacer en el trabajo antes de que me diga que los lleve a casa :0D

      Delete
  2. Wow! I think the bay windows will look really cool. And I'm so loving watching you build this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila, I really appreciate everyone's support :0)

      Delete
  3. This is great! I love all your methods and ideas. I am really enjoying/loving these posts. Please keep us informed of your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly will Catherine. I'm ahead by about four months since I started it last year so there's plenty more to come :0)

      Delete
  4. How Exciting!
    and how refreshing it will be, to see a 'non-spooky' Gothic- style build :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, no ghosties here Elizabeth :0D

      Delete
  5. The construction is looking very promising - I don't know what those recess or sticky outy things are called either but the idea is swell! I bet the lunch hour goes by way too fast, too. Just when you're having fun, the recess bell rings calling you back to class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I eat fruit in one hand, and glue bits of wood with the other :0) That hour sure does fly over :0/

      Delete
  6. Wow, it's great to see the building of the new Gothic Manor, Pepper, and I'm with Mrs. E.: in this stage of the build there are still no ghosts around..... ;D! I had a bit of problem with finding an explanation for the word 'bays', but I guess that you mean the bay windows, just like Sheila said??
    I can't wait to see more!!
    Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks IIona. Yes, I think bay is the right description although there's probably an architechtural term for it. As long as you know what I mean then that's all that matters :0)

      Delete
  7. A great new project. It will be interesting to follow. Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Drora, I'm thankful for your support :0)

      Delete
  8. What a mammoth project, so impressed. You will get such a kick out of the fact it is entirely your creation. Bit late now but I too fret about the weight of doors on the hinges when front has added construction like bay windows and you always need a load of room for a house for the doors to swing open. I have seen someones house who solved this by not ever hingjng any doors she just held them in place with tiny magnets and then simply removed them when she wanted to get inside. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn. I did ask a mechanical engineer who I work with if piano hinge is strong enough to carry the weight of a door and he basically said 'Pff, of course it will. The screw would fail first'. I'm taking him at his word and hoping the doors don't drop in a year or two :0/

      Delete
  9. Thank you Pepper to share the stages of this beautiful project, it is very interesting
    good continuation
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claude for your kind words :0)

      Delete
  10. Seeing it sitting there on the table really gives an idea of just how big this is! I think breaking up the doors into 3's is really smart because of the weight. It will be interesting to see how you hinge the middle door. Will you have to put a post in? I can't tell in the last picture if the hinges are there or not now. You mentioned routing the channels for them, will they be on the inside or outside? When I was looking at adding hinges to walls I couldn't find a lot of examples, I'm sure a lot of people are going to be helped by all your construction posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, well I did solve the third door opening thing and you may be surprised ;0P The hinge is sitting completely in the inside of the door so that it looks flush when the door is closed. I will post better pictures in my next post :0)

      Delete
  11. Дуже цікаво це спостерігати! Ви дуже креативна леді! Я бажаю вам успіху у цьому грандіозному проекті!
    Тетяна

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Величезне спасибі Тетяна :0)

      Delete
  12. I love gothic, I too want to see how you will hinge the middle door.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bay is the right word; projection is as well. I like it! Complex architecture gives a more pleasing facade, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, you clever, clever lady. Projection...I think that explains it better :0)

      Delete
  14. The word you need is "Erker"... *grin* But as long as you don't talk with other Germans about your fantastic new project I suppose "bay window" will do the job, too... ;O) But without any more joking - it was impressive to see the building's shell on your work table. What a huge building this will be - great, this means many, many Pepper-posts for me to enjoy...

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you Birgit. You may get sick of seeing posts about this build before it's finished though :0P

      Delete
  15. I love the gothic style. I think it's funny that you're getting lots of advice from co-workers. Well, at least you're inspiring interest in this hobby! (But what if everyone starts making dollhouses during lunch?) I

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha-ha I think I've started a trend. The lads I work with are all qualified tradesmen so they like to offer their years of experience into the mix :0D It's good to have that help available but I really want to build it myself so that at the end, I can say it was all me :0)

      Delete
  16. The bay windows will look perfect on this dollhouse. It is very interesting watching your process and seeing all your ideas created. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Linda and thanks you for the encouragement :0)

      Delete
  17. Hello Pepper,
    I just read your last 2 posts and I am so excited to see this manor come together!
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete