I've been working intermittently on the work shed for the last seven days. Other things have demanded my time so I'm not as far along as I would like to be. This is where I left off -
I built the frame of the floor and covered it with plywood, then glued all of the walls into place
If you're planning to make any structure like this, it pays to make 'spacers'. These spacers sit in between the frame whilst it is gluing to ensure even distribution. I wanted this shed to look weathered but not decrepit. You've probably seen this technique a bunch of times but if not, you take a bottle of white vinegar (I used Sarson's white malt vinegar)
stick it in a jar with a wad of steel wool
and leave it overnight. When you paint the solution onto wood, the reaction causes it to grey like wood that has been rained on for many years.
I experimented with different strengths and found that 1/4 solution to 3/4 cold water made the plywood a nice silvery grey. Stronger solutions made the plywood a darker, dirtier brown colour. I painted one coat on all of the plywood sheet I had with the vinegar solution and when it was dry, I cut it into strips to mimic wood planks. The wood strips are glued overlapping, to give it a more detail.
To make sure it was level, I measured either side of the plank, to the top of the frame.
It needs some trim to pretty up the corners where the planks meet but overall, I like the way it turned out. When everything is glued into place I will add water damage marks/moss with paint and pastels. I think it needs some 'nails' in it too, to make it look more realistic.
The roof trusses are simple 'A' frames. The distance between the trusses are the same as the shed frame
The roof is removable so that I have more room to work on the shed contents
I still have to continue the overlapping slats up into the roof, add windows and their beading, make some strap hinges for the doors before I can get to my favourite part of making the tool bench and accessories for inside =0D. Oh yes, and landscaping a base for the shed...
You can see in the picture above, the plywood I used on the roof turned an icky dark colour. I'm going to use some cheap sandpaper, painted, to mimic the asphalt sheet you see on life-size sheds.
That's it for now.
Have a great weekend