Sunday, 27 October 2013

Better time management

Man it's been a long week - Literally. Here in Blighty the clocks have gone back an hour due to daylight savings, so the week has been seven days and one hour long. I'm always optimistic of what I can achieve in a week. More often than not,  I'm left with I pile of 'work in progress' pieces. I think this is down to poor time management on my part and not that the things I need to do take so long. For the last couple of weeks I've squeezed a lot into a little; using my lunch hour at work for small projects, leaving paint spraying to the end of the night so I don't have to literally watch paint dry before I can move on.

So last weeks project was making floor and table lamps. I designed the files for the laser cutter during my lunch break, came home and cut all of the pieces, took them back to work and then assembled them through my lunch break. In case you're wondering, I do eat. I'm a grazer and tend to munch all through the day so working through the allocated hour that my employers give me is no biggy.


The floor lamp on the right has a 3volt bright white led which gives off a more blueish tinge to the light. These would be used for accent lighting rather than the main source of light for a room. I used tissue paper inside to diffuse the light coming through.

This is the table top size -


Ages ago, Mini Modern said she wished lamps had their own power source because not everyone had a dollhouse or room box that had been wired with power . Your wish is my command dear friend =0)

I bought the 3 volt battery holders from a lovely gent from Singapore via Ebay


JS Miniatures (UK) also have a great range of led kits and battery holders

My miscellaneous wood pile is slowly but surely getting smaller too. In an effort to reduce waste, I've been glueing small strips of wood on top of each other to make various door fronts.


The edge of the strips are ripped down the hobby saw with the blade set at 45 degrees. The wood is then turned over and put through the saw again. Once the strips are glued on top of each other, it gives a kind of 'mountain range' type of effect...or as I like to think of it, row upon row of Toblerone. Yummy! The handles are jewelery spacer beads.

So a weeks worth of work thrown into a scene looks like this


Better get back to finishing my Halloween scene. Three and a half days left...

Have a great weekend

Pepper =0)

32 comments:

  1. the credenzas are so cool. I love the lamps as well. Thanks as always for all your info- so useful and last but not least- the last scene is so refreshing!
    Our clock was just reset forward to wintertime.... Now I have a jet leg :-0
    Neomi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Neomi, hope your jetlag doesn't last too long =0)

      Delete
  2. I love your credenzas please tell me your selling them any time soon I'd love to own one! and the lights are so amazing ! If only I had your amazing miniature making skills then I'd be Shure to rule the world!! mwouhahaah uuhhum... sorry still in my Halloween state of mind ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mandy,
      what's the point of selling them when so many people, like yourself, can make fantastic miniatures just as well =0/ Thank you for your comments though =0)

      Delete
  3. Your work is impeccable! Where do you pull these ideas from? LOL Awesome just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you sweets. I guess I just see something, anything around me and I get inspired by the shape or colour =0)

      Delete
  4. Lovely as always. Those floors lamps are to DIE for. And I see a "Pant" chair in the scene too -- did you make another for yourself???! I treasure mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Callsmall, well when I'm making something for someone, I always make two in case I make a mess of the first one. So that Pant chair in the picture is your Pant's twin =0)

      Delete
  5. I absolutely adore your lights and love the idea of battery operated too. Your scene is simply beautiful and can I ask what you made your brick wall with? I've just been experimenting with a white one and it's certainly not as good as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you MWL,
      I bought the brick sheet at Miniatura from Barbabra's Mouldings. I can't see it listed on their site but I've found it here - http://www.whitstablescene.co.uk/dollshousecladding.htm
      I have to say though, they suggest you use contact adhesive on the sheet (which I did), and the damn stuff bubbled. I think it needed to be pressed down with something heavy while it was drying (which I didn't do). I took a scalpel to the bricks to make them look worn before I painted it.
      Hope this helps =0)

      Delete
  6. Hi Pepper! Your lamps are amazing! They fit perfectly with the furniture! Are you sure you're not an Ikea designer during your lunch break?! Your room is a real gem, I want to live there!! Kind regards, Brian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brian,
      Ha-Ha no, not an Ikea designer unfortunately. I'm just a maintenance stock purchaser who likes interior design =0)

      Delete
  7. Hello Pepper, As always your work and ideas are absolutely gorgeous! I love the lights and the credenzas are a dream. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweets, that's very kind of you =0)

      Delete
  8. As always I'm looking at what you made thinking: Man... I want that in my home... in full sized versions.... :-) It's all so very lovely!!! Good luck with the vampires.... Muhahaha....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh you just brightened my Monday morning. LOVE the lamps! Great minds think alike... I have a line of furniture I'm designing with similar intersecting lines. I'll try to post soon, but my time management is not nearly as good as yours. So lovely seeing your new work, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE that scene. All in the details and you details are uhMazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, you're making new items? Can't wait to see it =0D

      Delete
  10. Your designs and the laser work are really great! I love the lamps and the console table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Troy. That's very kind of you =0)

      Delete
  11. Waheey! There's Sydney Nolan's Ned Kelly! Perhaps I should pop over to the National Gallery at lunchtime and say hello to him for you (http://nga.gov.au/nolan/)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hang on a sec: you have a Nolan, a Drysdale and a Prohart on your wall... Should I be suspicious? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha-ha. I knew you would spot those. I'd love to say that I was holidaying in Australia and picked these up at a museum somewhere but no. What can I say, there are just some awesome Australian artists and artwork!

      Delete
  13. WOOOW, perfect in any detail! All pieces of your furniture and lamps are always gorgeous, so the ones in this scene too! I LOVE those artworks on the wall too :D! My sincere compliments for all your work, Carol it is outstanding! I am glad to read you still take some time to eat in your lunch hour ;)!
    I am so curious to see what your Halloween scene for this year will be......last year was awesome!
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much IIona. You're so very sweet about my work =0)
      This years Halloween scene was chosen by my Husband - he wanted something manly ha-ha =0)

      Delete
    2. I am very curious now, something manly you say, huh??? Oh....I really can't wait to see it! I haven't had the time (an exhibition and an international fair, so much gorgeous work of foreign miniaturists, I am still drooling ;) ), so I have to skip this year :(!

      Delete
  14. Pepper I love your lights and your credenzas :)

    Hugs
    Marisa

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Pepper, as always I'm so impressed with what you come up with! I really like the combination of the patterns in the lights and the credenza together. They really play off each other well. I'd love these both in my miniature scene or in my house ;) And the scene is very cool, love the blue with the white modern brick.

    Kristine

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful work, Pepper, and I love hearing about your process. Too cool! xo Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  17. The lamps look great, and the room at the end looks Fantastic!! I love your modern room scenes, you make them seem effortless! but we see all the work you do to create them too, wonderful!

    ReplyDelete