Sunday, 15 September 2013

Smile - it makes people wonder what you're up to

I've been in such a good mood lately.This is in no small way connected to the fact that I have such amazingly generous mini mates and Miniatura is just a week away. Does anyone else get this excited about miniature presents and fairs? And by excited I mean this excited>



I'll admit it. I am not ashamed. I'm like a kid at Christmas.
So mini mates. Dear Shopping Sherpa found some very cool beads on one of her epic shopping trips. After I said how much I liked them she offered to send me some spares that she had. I reciprocated by sending some bits and bobs that I had spare, totally underestimating how generous mini people are. She shamed me with a bumper parcel full of thoughtful gifts. Man, she even colour coordinated the wrapping paper so it was a veritable feast for the eyes.


  Beads

More beads

Even more beads and in different sizes


...and just a selection of even more cool stuff that will have pride of place in future scenes. Thoughtful and generous doesn't even begin to cover it.

Added to this, I received some pretty wonderful gifts from Rosa at Minimodernas after winning a place in her anniversary contest.



I also received a sweet cup and turtle but they've wandered off somewhere =0/  No doubt they'll turn up after a clean up operation in my workroom. So, lots to smile about.

Lately I've been obsessed with the idea of flat packed miniatures after a comment by the Shopping Sherpa ( I think she likes to light the touch paper and just stand back)  I can't get the idea out of my head and it's really frustrating. There's already a ton of 'put-it-together-yourself' mini kits out there but I haven't seen a great deal of flat packed, modern. This isn't with a view to sell items or sell items and get them to their destination in one piece, despite the fact that I have just the most horrible luck with Royal Mail. It's more to do with getting thoughtful gifts out to friends and letting them have fun putting something together. I think even if you don't make miniatures, there is a great deal of satisfaction to be gained by constructing a kit yourself. I've been playing around with a few ideas;


These are slot-together legs for a dining room table. The wood is 2mm marine ply, veneered on both sides with mahogany. I suppose you could use any combination of woods for the legs and top, it's just a matter of getting hold of the materials.




This coffee table was designed (in full scale) by the very talented Alex MacMaster and Limahl Asmall of MacMaster Design I love the fluidity of the base. Very simple yet effective. Again I used veneered marine ply which is extremely pliable but strong.



The shape is basically three of these triangles  with a slot cut into them. The slot size I used is 10mm x 2mm (the thickness of the wood) If you want to make this at home I suggest you slot all three corners in at once and then bit by bit, curve the plywood into shape. Once into the slots, the base becomes extremely strong and can withstand quite a lot of weight on the top.

The last thing I was contemplating is lamp shades. I visit the idea of acrylic quite often because the edges refract the light so beautifully. Plus it is easy enough to make slot-together pieces that are strong when constructed.



I also liked the idea of having modern lamp shades. The only thing is, I don't have much experience with fabrics and how to stiffen them enough to hold the shape of a shade. Maybe card stock would be better. Any advice?




This is a trial drum shade using wood veneer. I had to steam the veneer to get it into that shape before I could glue it onto the lamp spiders. I'll think of something...maybe get some tips at the fair.

Well I better be off. That pile of ironing isn't going to do itself =0/

Enjoy the rest of your weekend

Pepper =0)

















24 comments:

  1. I oooh and ahh'd all over this post. Those little round beads in blue and silver look like they'd make great modern lights. And those miniature kit ideas!!! Again I'm really loving the lamp shades. The clear acrylic one looks very luxe and the drum shade looks great for a more casual space. You know those modern rectangular crystal lights that go over dining room tables? I haven't found anything in miniature but maybe something like the acrylic round one might work. I hope you continue with them :)
    Kristine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristine. Shopping Sherpa used the beads as lights and they looked fab (ergo me wanting them too)I'm intrigued by the 'modern rectangular lights' you mention. You got any pics?

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not alone!!! I get very excited about going to the Tom Bishop Show in Chicago. It is a little over whelming. Three (hotel) ballrooms and another room just for dolls. You are afraid to spend your mad money at first for fear some other 'must have' will pop up at the next table.

    I would LOVE to go to one of your shows in the UK. There are so many dealers that do not come to the US shows. I adore Danny Shotton's work. There are so many things of his I would love to have. He doesn't even have a web site. :-(

    Congratulations on all your new miniatures and those great beads.

    I agree! Miniature collectors are the nicest people in the whole world. Very willing to share and help others.

    Have a WONDERFUL time at Miniatura. I can't wait to see all the treasures you bring home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catherine,
      I would love to go to some shows abroad. So many fabulous makers that never make it to Ole Blighty so i know what you mean. I tell Danny Shotton every time I see him that he needs a website but he's very anti- emails and computers. I'll whinge at him about it again when I see him ;0)

      Delete
  4. The gifts are fantastic.
    I really like the round table.
    Bye, Faby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Faby, glad you like them =0)

      Delete


  5. Boy o boy do I know what you mean!!! I get very excited about going to the Shows her in Holland even though they don’t carry much modern miniatures . I always seem to spend more than the budget I take to start with. Although I probably look more like this: http://picslap.com/pictures/excited-kitty

    I would LOVE to go to one of your shows, or maybe someday you will be able to come to the Netherlands. There are so many great modern artists such as yourself that live outside of our reach.
    All of your new miniatures and beads are amazing and I’m sure that some unforeseen masterpieces spring from that master mind of yours. ;) And of course miniature people are the nicest (we got you on our side don’t we?;)
    I’ll wait to see witch treasures you will find at Miniatura.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mandy, wouldn't it be great if we could have a world fair and every maker was there. I would definitely be at that one =0) I might just make it to the Netherlands one day!

      Delete
  6. Big shows are so exciting: I still have memories of the London Dolls' House Festival I went to, which was almost ten years ago :-(

    Loving the clear lamp shade, and speaking of lampshades have you tried a mix of PVA glue and water? Or resin? Liquid stiffener from the craft store? Spray starch? Or spray it with clear clear polyurethane?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey TSS,
      of course I didn't think of pva in the fabric (doh) I'll have to experiment =0)

      Delete
  7. Hi Carol, these gifts are wonderful, probably they put on your button for inspiration ;)! The tables are awesome as all your work is and yes, I am always excited when there is a show here in Holland. Unfortunately I can only visit two of them, the one in oktober is the Dolls House Nederland show with a lot of international guests, I hope you will come one day too???? I would love to meet you in person and to see your modern furniture and other miniatures.
    An idea to stiffen your lamp shades: aslan foil. I put a link from a Dutch store, so you got the idea: http://www.bruininkwebwinkel.nl/n2/14866/56171/Aslan_folie.htm
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi IIona, I would really love to go to the Netherland show. One day I'll make it over there and we can meet for a cuppa and a chat =0)

      Delete
  8. Everything is so cool, I don't know what to like the most! I really like the look of modern minis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweets, I'm glad you like them =0)

      Delete
  9. What great gifts! You will be able to make some cool lamps with those beads. I'm drooling over the slotted things you made, especially the lamp shades. Do the edges of the acrylic some out smooth and shiny or do you have to polish them? I also get very excited to go to mini shows. I went to the Bishop show in the spring and was sooooo overwhelmed with the amazing talent that was there. Try spraying the clothes with a mist of water and put them in a hot dryer for a few minutes and they will nearly iron themselves...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi M4M, I'm hoping to do something inspiring with those beads. May take a bit of thinking about first though. When the acrylic is cut, the laser basically melts the shape so the edges are extremely smooth (thank goodness) I wouldn't want to polish all those edges =0/

      Delete
  10. Hello Pepper,
    It is incredible how realistic and lifelike your work is. each project is a feast for the eyes and a true example of good miniature work. Well done.
    Enjoy all your lovely presents. they are beautiful.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Giac. You're always so kind about my ideas.
      Big hug right back at you x

      Delete
  11. I love the miniature copy of the round coffeetable you made! Gorgeous! Enjoy the wonderfull presents you received and have fun at the fair!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there
    I got the net beads here( pretty amazing that I could get here what you get in Australia)and used them as lamps. Lovely!
    Your furniture is great!Love the cat as well
    Neomi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neomi,
      you seem to have a better range of beads than we have here. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places =0/

      Delete
  13. Love the beads Pepper. I instantly thought of lights too!
    Your modern furniture and the lamps are great. Love the designs.

    Jennifer,

    ReplyDelete