Sunday, 22 September 2013

Game plan - (picture heavy post)

Whenever I go to a miniature fair, especially a fair as big as Miniatura, I try to have some sort of game plan. This involves listing the things I need as opposed to the things I want, thinking about my budget and remembering what I already have if I'm adding to a collection.

Yesterday, the game plan went out of the window.

I usually head to the wood suppliers first, buy up anything I think I'll need for the next few months and have it kept to one side so I can collect it later. From there I head to each of my favourite sellers, then do a couple of loops of all of the tables. But you get overwhelmed. You spot something new and wonderful and convince yourself that you have to have it. More than once, my Hubby pulled me away from a table, said 'think about it for half an hour and if you still want it then, we can always come back'. Sometimes a moment of reflection works.


I'll show you the very few photographs I took on the day. For the most part, if you visit the Miniatura link, it lists the sellers and their websites if you want to see more. I took some photos of Glorious Twelfth's houses because I can't find a link to them.








I may be a Modern Milly but I have such a soft spot for these timber framed buildings.

Below are some of my collections I added to over the weekend:

Elisabeth Causeret - green

Elisabeth Causeret - Blue
Elisabeth Causeret - Grey

Elisabeth Causeret - White
 Elisabeth is my favourite potter to date. Not only is she very talented but generous to boot. If you buy a certain quantity of her wares, she gives you another item for free (as was the case with the flower jugs and mugs in the third picture) I've noticed other international sellers do this too.
I bought the table from someone and for the life of me I can't remember who it was. I plan to age it with a solution of vinegar and use it to display things in a future scene. 

Ray Storey - Clear glass bottles

Ray Storey - Coloured glass bottles
 You may wonder why I buy so many of Ray's Bottles. Ray actually said to me on Saturday 'Hi Carol, have you come for more bottles' (he knows me so well). Well glass never goes out of style and has such a wide variety of uses.

Truly Scrumptious

I couldn't resist this tennis racket and balls from Truly Scrumptious They are so well made. If you click on the picture you can see how every string has been woven through the frame.


Danny Shotton

Now this is a cautionary tale of why you should have a game plan when you go to a miniature fair. The first time I saw Danny Shotton's miniatures I decided I would build a work shed so that I could display all of the pieces that I collected. No, you are not seeing double. I managed to buy items again, that I was sure I didn't have =0/ This will end up being the best stocked shed any person has ever owned...


This last item is 6 x 6 inch pieces of ultra suede light. The reason I bought every piece the seller had is because it is an absolute nightmare to get hold of in Blighty. This fabric is FANTASTIC for miniatures. It doesn't fray, can be cut with a laser and is so soft, it folds realistically in a 12th scale scene. The only place I've seen it is in these small quantities from people who make miniature bears. Anyone in Blighty know anywhere I can get it? I would be most obliged for any advice.

That's about it. I have a pile of wood I need to store flat before I can put my feet up and relax.

Have a great weekend

Pepper =0)





36 comments:

  1. I like the new pieces of your collections.
    Bye, Faby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faby, glad you like them =0)

      Delete
  2. O pepper, I envie your wonderfull collection of Elisabeth's pottery and Ray's glass! Gorgeous! Just like you I try to stick to my shopping list when I'm on a fair but still I can end up buying things I already have at home :-)
    Never mind, one can't have enough miniatures!
    Enjoy your purchases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liduina, I always manage to get more than I intended. You're right, you can't have enough miniatures =0)

      Delete
  3. This is the sort of post I love to wake up too. :-)
    Glorious Twelfth's buildings grabbed my heart the first time I saw pictures of them. Thank you for sharing all these great pictures! It isn't just a dollhouse. It is a sculpture, a work of art. Ooooh how I would love to have one.
    Elizabeth's work is fantastic. I am lucky enough to have a few pieces of hers. Since she doesn't come to the US or have a web site. Your collection is magnificent. How will you display them all?
    Ray's bottles and his other work is always wonderful to see. Somehow I missed noticing all those bottles when I saw him in Chicago. I am sure it was because I was so mesmerized by his light fixtures. I will have to buy a few bottles from him next time I see him.
    OK now you have me drooling on my screen. I LOVE Danny Shotton's work. I am busy working out a list of all the pieces of his I would love to have. Again... Your collection is fantastic! Aren't those tools beautiful!!! Oh those tiny scissors are amazing!
    Etsy has a lot of REAL ultra suede. I have bought it several times there. You do have to ask the seller if it is the real Ultra Suede or you can get the sort that unravels rather then the sort that cuts without fraying. There is every color you can imagine.
    Thanks again for this great post. XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catherine,
      I have no idea how I can display them all. I hate that they sit in a box most of the time =0/ I pleaded with Danny to open a web store but he said he's too busy to keep up with technology *bless him* I do have the list of of items with prices if you need them.
      I never thought to look on Etsy for Ultrasuede *doh* Thanks for the help =0)

      Delete
  4. Fabulous!!!! Elizabeth's pottery is amazing. I especially love the white collection pieces on the right. Does she sell online?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi M4M, unfortunately Elisabeth doesn't have an online shop. That's the reason I buy so many when I see her in England. I think I have her email...I'll dig it out and send it to you =0)

      Delete
  5. O Pepper, Congrats on everything you have purchased! They all are gorgeous!
    Hugs
    Kikka

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know why you have a soft spot for the house...because of it has such character. Your collections are beautiful. I can't pick which I like the best!
    The tools the fabric...you really got great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Grandmommy. Those houses are spectacular aren't they? =0)

      Delete
  7. I love love looove the Ray Storey - Coloured glass bottles does he have a website?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mandy, yes ray does have an online store but I don't think he lists all of the bottles. You can contact him through this link
      http://www.raystoreylighting.com/home/index.htm

      =0)

      Delete
  8. Hi Pepper! I am enchanted by EVerything! I LOVE IT ALL! Seeing all of your wonderful collection was a Sumptuous feast for the eyes! Thank you!

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth, I'm glad you enjoyed them =0)

      Delete
  9. Menudas compras has hecho!!!! Me encantan esas botellas de vidrio de colores...preciosas!!!
    Besos
    Isa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Isa, me alegro de que te gustan

      =0)

      Delete
  10. Hi Carol, did you rent a big truck for transporting back home for so many beautiful pieces LOL ;)!! What a great purchases, each of them is a beauty for the eye. Enjoy your new goodies!!!
    I am in love with that awesome house on the first pictures! I can imagine how you've walked around with your shopping list but you apparently must have "lost" it ;)!
    For the two shows I visit in a year I always have a shopping list on hand too. For the rest I look around and try to keep my eyeballs into my head: a miniature show can be so overwhelming ánd it is always one big treat for me!
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi IIona,
      it is just too easy to spend a lot of money isn't it? I try to be good but I don't always manage it =0D

      Delete
  11. How I envy anyone who gets to see those incredible half-timbered houses up close...

    What a haul - not just the quantity, but the quality! There are no miniatures fairs near me, so I have to make do with buying online, squinting hard at a zoomed-in picture, trying to determine if an item is worth its asking price (I haven't been wrong yet...I even have two of the same knives from your Danny Shotton picture!).

    I hear you on miniature fabric; it is tricky to find something that scales well and doesn't fray. I've only ever worked with upholstery-weight ultrasuede (on 1:1 furniture; it's a bit thick for miniatures), but it is worth every cent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna,
      there are so few miniature shops now that most people depend on the fairs to buy anything. It's a real shame. I know what you mean about buying online. It's hard to guess how good a piece is from a teeny photo =0/

      Delete
  12. The pottery is gorgeous, to be honest everything in these photos is gorgeous :D You've taken great photos of them, I particularly like the Danny Shotton display...............I think I need some Elizabeth Causeret and Ray Storey items and ultra light suede.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah
      once you get hooked, you can't stop =0)

      Delete
  13. Aw man, I would love to go to a dollhouse show with you. Great quality finds! Can't wait to see where they pop up. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there =0)
      Any time you fancy a quick trip to Blighty...=0P

      Delete
  14. I can't even describe how envious I am that you are able to go to such a wonderful show. There really aren't any near where I live. Those pottery pieces are amazing! If I didn't know they were scale miniatures, I could easily have mistaken the photos for a life-size table spread. The colored glass bottles are darling as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there applejamnpb,
      I do travel for three hours to get to the fair but yes, I'm extremely lucky I can get there. I'm also extremely happy when International sellers visit Blighty cos I hate flying =0(

      Delete
  15. Hi Carol, good to see the standard is still high at Miniatura, I missed the show this month, other commitments prevented me from going sadly, so I am pleased to see some of the things I missed.

    I have purchased things from Eiisabeth Causeret before too and her work is fantastic! looks like you found plenty of lovely things on her stall. I'm a big fan of truly scrumptious too! Love the tennis set!

    The timber house is amazing, great to see it. pleased you had so much fun, it's easy to forget what you need when there is so much good stuff available at the shows!!

    Andy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Andy, I actually noticed the crowds were smaller on the Saturday. I didn't have to wrestle anyone to get to the stalls. I guess some people are still holiday-ing.
      I'm always thrilled to see Elisabeth over here. Her range is growing still and I'm running out of room =0/ (doesn't stop me buying though!)
      =0) xx

      Delete
  16. Elisabeth Causeret's ribbed vases and Ray Storey's ribbed bottles are both on my ultimate wish list so I'm super envious that you have both, especially as they're not easily available online...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I most have missed this post =) But I did a game plan before I went to the fair here too, I'm very glad I did, I could have gone wild and bought everything ;) I kinda did for awhile, but I got what I came for and some more ;) I love that white collection from Elisabeth Causeret. Never seen her work before.. have to check it out now =)
    Thanks for sharing!!
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Pepper,

    Did my comment post?

    DiAnn

    ReplyDelete
  19. Here I try again.....

    Dearest chatty twin.....did you forget about your sister from another Mother in Texas and your ultra suede light connection?????
    Hugs
    DiAnn

    ReplyDelete