Tuesday, 2 April 2013

Dedication to the cause

So what's been happening in the Mitchy household for the last couple of months? Well not a great deal actually.

My Birthday came and went --- You know there comes an age when it's far easier lighting a bonfire and throwing a cupcake on the top than baking a cake and trying to balance a gazillion candles on the icing!


As it was my Birthday and despite the fact that the CIDP was still lingering, Hubby insisted we visit the Spring Miniatura. If I got really tired he promised me a ride on the motorized chairs they have for hire there. I have to admit, the thought of driving into a few shins to get me closer to the tables did appeal to the darker side of my nature. As it was, that weekend I felt better than I had in a long while. 6.30am we were heading down the motorway, laughing at radio reports about heavy snow fall in the south. Pah! Snow? I remember snowflakes the size of your fist...snow that drifted so high you had to walk on tennis rackets just to get to school. Thirty miles into the journey, smiles gave way to a look of distinct panic and much stamping on the imaginary foot brake on my side of the car.


It got worse. Snow ploughs trundling at mediocre speed in the fast lane of the motorway, just to keep us on our toes. High winds pushing the snow back onto the clear lanes. Then I had a brain fart and took us on a detour around a rural village...I've never wanted to hijack a tractor so bad as I did then. I made a joke to my Hubby about digging us out of a snow drift with a miniature Danny Shotton shovel, which was met with cold, stony silence. I use humour to diffuse difficult situations, my Hubby --- not so much.
Now I imagine at this point, you folks from the far northern hemisphere are laughing at this pitiful example of bad weather. I KNOW! Here in Blighty we get snow all the bloody time and yet we still can't cope with it.  Sheesh!
So four hours later, we arrived.

Now for a bit of miniature goodness. There was one miniaturist I particularly wanted to talk to. Ralph Keemar (sorry he doesn't have a linky), brought his wonderful 1930's  shop/home to the fair.








In his own words, the shop and accommodation above has been made almost entirely with things he found around his home. He also had a standalone room box with a display of 1930's electrical items.


Could this man be any more talented? Such a lovely gent who spent a great deal of time chatting about his work.

Another favourite artisan, and one I had the pleasure of meeting last year is Glorious Twelfth. This year he brought a book shop.



I can't help thinking Harry Potter when I see his gravity defying structures. I asked him how he started on such a complicated build, thinking his answer would involve architect type drawings and much knowledge of the building trade. No, he shrugged 'it's just a load of cubes stuck together' Smarty pants!! Seriously, he is a lovely gentleman and I would recommend anyone to stop for a chat.

Leanne of The contemporary home in miniature helped feed my passion for modern with her new Spinnaker Court. A four storey home jammed full of cool design.




You know where she found that fabulous sculpture in the image above?? A charity shop. You know what I find when I go into charity shops? Shoes that don't match and 5000 piece jigsaw puzzles with 4999 pieces in the box! Some gals have all the luck.

Okay, I think I've waffled for long enough now. If you want to find the full list of exhibitors with links to there sites, have a wander over to Miniatura for details.

Phew, I need a cuppa

Till next time

Pepper =0)

20 comments:

  1. Oh wow, Ralph Keemar's work is amazing! Thank you for posting all these wonderful photos.

    Cheers, Neen

    ReplyDelete
  2. What marvelous minis! Thanks for sharing and happy birthday!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. That 1930s shop/home is incredible! If I ever get to go to Miniatura you can bet I'll ask Ralph how he did those tiny tiles on the front step.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing miniatures! Thanks for sharing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun post, Pepper! Thanks for sharing such great stories and photos. Happy belated birthday! xo Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the mini vacation. CM

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you made it home safely. It has been so long since I had to drive in snow. I hated it.

    Thank you so much for sharing all these wonderful photos. I loved seeing them. That book shop is my cup of tea. I adore half timbered buildings. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Pepper,
    Thank you for the great post and reporting and photos od the miniaturea show. Yes, there are some very talented people around and I have only been able to see them because of your thoughtful posting.
    Thank that wonderful hubby who made you go!
    Regards Janine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Carol, i think you deserve more than a cuppa for such a brill post,not to mention travelling down in such appaling weather! not only did you capture some fab shots but you also got the pleasure of chating with the artists too.
    Wonderful post, thanks for sharing. Tony

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Pepper,
    I am glad you got to the show and thank you for posting the great pictures. What incredible artists! Hang in there...before you know it the snow will all be gone.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pepper,
      Sorry, I am having a mentally slow day, Happy belated birthday! I wish you all the best.
      Big birthday hug,
      Giac

      Delete
  11. Wonderful pictures.
    Happy birthday!
    Greetings, Faby

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Carol, Happy belated birthday!!
    Thank you for the great post and to show us the photos of the Miniatura show. Amazing miniature work, so beautiful to see. Chapeau for driving in the bad weather!!
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  13. felicidades por tu cumpleaños
    veo que al final disfrutaste mucho de la excursion , no me extraña esas casas son preciosas , gracias por compartir las fotos

    besitos

    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful hubby for taking you to the show. I'm so glad you got to go. What wonderful artisans thanks for sharing a bit of the show. I hope you had a wonderful birthday!!! (Love the comment about the bonfire...sonetimes I feel the same way! LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really love the 1930's stuff, like being zapped back in time, so real looking too! Thank you for sharing.
    Gill x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Smiling to see this post. I bought the bookshop from John at Miniatura. It's amazing in every way and I agree - he is a lovely chap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow. You bought the bookshop? It is an amazing building. =0)

      Delete
    2. I did. I fell totally in love with it and couldn't leave without it! Talk about being smitten!

      More pics here: http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/AlienMarmalade/library/Gullivers%20Book%20Shop?sort=3&page=1

      But this is going to be a very slow and deliciously enjoyable project to furnish :)

      Delete
  17. I'm with you on the charity shop - I constantly look in those for some great find, but I must be there on the off days. Thanks for sharing the photos.

    ReplyDelete