Saturday, 13 April 2013

Busy, busy, busy

I've been really busy these last two weeks --- which is good. At last I feel as if I'm achieving something.

My problem is that I take on far more projects than I can comfortably handle. Add to this, working with a bunch of sadistic b*****ds who challenge me to make something in miniature that they think can't be made. More often than not, it is impossible to make without the aid of a shrinking machine or magic. Nevertheless I like a challenge.

Plus, I'm currently tracing my family tree and I've hit a literal tree stump since part of my family are Irish and have common Irish names. Back to the drawing board...

So, challenge number one - A colleague (who, oddly enough looks like Max Von Sydow's character Ming-The-Merciless) suggested that I make a 500 piece jigsaw puzzle...each piece different and each piece cut completely and movable.


 First I had to devise the jigsaw pieces. So twenty five columns x twenty rows (500) meant that I had to design each individual piece for a laser-cutter to follow. Roll forward eleven hours, thirty one cups of tea and a mountain of takeaway food I had this.




Now I realise not everyone has access to a laser-cutter so I've attached the above image if you want to make your own jigsaw puzzle. All you need to do is save the image, put your chosen picture into your printer and then print the image on top of it. The printer will print the jigsaw shapes onto your picture so it looks like a completed jigsaw. Obviously if you want to have individual pieces (and I don't know how you would do this), you'll have to find a way to cut the pieces out.



Next on my list came not so much from a challenge but a post by the fabulous The Shopping Sherpa Now one of my main concerns about posting miniatures is the Post Office's inability to keep the parcel in one piece. To date I've had two lost and three damaged. I loved the idea of making furniture that you could send in one flat sheet and the recipient can then construct the furniture at the other end. Again, using a laser-cutter, I made some prototype chairs from acrylic. It's far cheaper and eco friendly than wasting wood during the trial and error stage of a design.


I still have a way to go before making any wooden chairs but It's a start.

Next on list. Ming-the-Merciless loves Art Deco. Yeah, who knew? =0P He saw the photographs I took of Ralph Keemar's radios from the spring Miniatura and asked for a Cathedral Radio replica from the 1930's...working!! M'okay. Needless to say I haven't found the gubbins of a radio that would fit into something that small.


 No knobs as yet and I'm not too happy with the lighter wood inserts. I think it needs pretty-ing up and maybe a small light behind a tuning dial? Any thoughts?

Before I go and do something productive, just a couple of mentions. You may have seen these before but if not, check out Lauren Daley and her fabulous House Lamps I don't know about you but I would have to decorate those tiny homes...probably add an outside dining area and before long have a complete community sitting on my table. I love that she sells the model homes separately. Might be of interest to our 24th scale buddies?

Last but not least, Minismodernas are holding another anniversary competition. Hope to see some more great entries this year

Have a great weekend

Pepper =0)



















57 comments:

  1. Hi pepper it’s good to see your starting again. I love the idea of the chairs have a great weekend! Love Mandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy, it's great to get back to making again =0)

      Delete
  2. Oh those chairs look excellent! I have access to a lasercutter at college but I'm rubbish at using AutoCAD so it might be a while before I get to use it properly, heh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi LAS, I cannot use AutoCad at all...far too complicated. Have you tried Inkscape? It's free to download and is much simpler. That's what I'm using =0)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing the puzzle!!
    I really like the plastic chairs =)
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the chairs.
    Bye, Faby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for starting my morning off with a laugh.

    WOW you have access to a laser-cutter OMG! How wonderful. That jig-saw puzzle is incredible. I think you should send it to the evil person that challenged you to make it all jumbled up in a box and let them put it together.

    Personally, I like the light and dark wood on the radio. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I did take the first one into work to show Ming. I said he could have it and then blew the pieces all over the floor. I know, very mean but it was nice to get him back =0)

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad you are back at it!!! I love the chairs, they look really cool in the acrylic. Thanks for sharing the house lamps, I too would like to decorate them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Carol, thanks for sharing the jigsaw puzzle, it looks great, but to cut it up......:S! Can we use this puzzle for our own use?
    The chairs look great in the acrylic! I am sorry to read that your miniatures have been damaged during the transport, it is a shame!
    The radio is amazing, I love the dark and light wood. Are you going to put a speaker like an in-ear phone for being able to listen to real music? (I hope you know what I mean, oh, me and my bad English ;))
    It is great you're back!
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi IIona, I will persevere with the radio. Maybe get some sound out of it. And of course you can use the puzzle =0)

      Delete
  8. Nice to see you back. The chairs are stunning - would love one of those:). The jigsaw is a great idea too and the radio is lovely, especially like this mix of light and dark wood :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there MWL. It's great to be back. I'm sure if you drop me an email I can find a spare chair for you =0)

      Delete
  9. Wonderful problems! Incredible solutions. Acrylic chairs great. Love the art deco radio, can I purchase one for my mini pal Neenie who is making an art deco house out of a art deco radio? She is at Universe in miniature. xoxo Carol M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there sweets,
      Do you want me to send it to you or straight to Neen? Let me know and I'll pop one in the post as soon as I get one finished =0)

      Delete
  10. Dear Pepper
    The chairs and radio are just sooooo coool!
    I'm glad you are better.
    Best
    Neomi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hola Pepper, has hecho un traajo fantástico con el rompecabezas, MUCHAS GRACIAS por compartirlo.
    El radio es fabuloso, no estás contenta con el resultado?
    Un abrazo y gracias al señor sin misericordia, por retarte al desafío.
    Suerte con tuárbol genealógico.
    Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola Rosamargarita,
      Me alegro de que te gustaba todo. Besos

      Delete
  12. Hi Pepper, you have certainly stretched yourself this week!! The jigsaw? Wow!! But my favourite are the acrylic chairs, I think they look fabulous in this stage of development so I can't wait to see the wooden versions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janice, I'm glad you like the chairs =0)

      Delete
  13. Nothing short of amazing!! The miniature Jigsaw puzzle is incredible,you really can make anything. I love the chairs and the radio too.....so clever!!

    ML Fi xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Fi, you make me blush. Thank you sweets =0)

      Delete
  14. The work is exceptional...no surprise there! It is good to see a new post from you. Yes, I do want to pocket those chairs and run. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, very well done! I doubt it's possible to make a fully functioning radio in such a tiny size, BUT...in my dollhouse, I turned an old pair of earbuds into working speakers (the "stereo" is my iPod, which I can hide between two walls). If you have a working pair of earbuds lying around that aren't being used, and don't mind having a hole in the side or back, you could play some real music through a radio like yours. (It's my proudest mini DIY, can you tell?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea Anna. I think even Ming would be impressed with it. Thank you =0)

      Delete
  16. Ooooo... those chairs are fabulous. I've come over all wanty. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there TSS. I may be calling on your services as a product tester soon ;0)

      Delete
    2. Damn, who stole the 'like' button? ;-)

      Delete
  17. Hi Carol, i wonder what Mr Ming is going to challenge you to do next!! Lol, the jigsaw is crazily brilliant as are the chairs, as for the radio i love the look of the light wood against the dark, i wouldn't have thought turning this into a working piece would be to difficult as micro radios that run on watch batteries are widely available ( check eBay ) i'm sure with a little persuasion and adapting one of these could be made to fit,alternatively Anna's idea is a good one too, its always a pleasure to see your wonderful and new pieces.Have a great week. Tony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tony,
      Goodness knows what Ming will think of. He is merciless =0)
      Thanks, I'll check out Ebay =0)

      Delete
  18. Hi Carol,

    I can see that a laser cutter would be quite a fun tool to have, the jigsaw is amazing! I hope Ming was both pleased and suitable humbled!!

    What has happened to the Post Office/Royal Mail!! they are expensive too! I really like the chairs, they look great in the acrylic, I've seen similar things on sale at work, I think you could sell both wood and acrylic, maybe different coloured plastic? The flat pack idea is brilliant, it works for IKEA!

    I would dare to give advice on the radio, seems an impossible task to get it to work! Mind you, I did once see a working TV at a dolls house fair! ;o) Just don't tell your friend Ming!!

    Regards
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andy,
      Ming is hard to please and I think he reads this blog so it looks like a working TV next...=0(
      Royal Mail are getting worse. The prices have gone up again!

      =0)

      Delete
  19. Hello Pepper,
    Those are some challenging people around you, but I know you will be victorious in the end!
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Pepper, I Love those acrylic chairs :) !

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi!

    Wow... it all looks fab!!! As always! Now, my dad has been building radio's from scratch since he was little... I will ask him if he as any ideas about making a miniature one! :-) What dimensions does it have to fit in?

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. I only have a gap of 10mm x 18mm...=0/

      Delete
    2. ... that's very small indeed... I'll ask, he'll call me insane and then start to think about it because he loves challenges... LOL!

      Delete
  22. Que maravillas. EL Señor da un poquito de miedo.
    El puzzle impresionante, como todo lo demas...Me has dejado impresionada con las sillas, son preciosas.
    Besitos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muchas gracias por el hermoso comentario Teviro
      =0) x

      Delete
  23. Hi Pepper,
    I just found your blog and have been reading through it. It is wonderful! So informative, funny and educational. You are very talented and I look forward to following your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Isabelle for the lovely comments =0)

      Delete
  24. Hi! Love these chairs! I have found it so hard to find clear acrylic chairs in 1:12 scale other then those party favor ghost chairs. These look so much more balanced with the plastic not being too thick. Keep up the great work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you PDM. Most of my creations are borne from the frustration of not being able to find suitable items already made...especially modern. Thank you for dropping by =0)

      Delete
  25. Great work, as always. The chairs are very nice. We'll glad if you decide to participate in our contest.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Straight to Neen. Invoice me for once! Everytime I see my Bouloum chair I smile.
    You can work magic! CM

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great work and I DO LOVE the acrilic chairs, exactly as they are now!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi,
    I bought a twelve light socket strip (product # 5361) from Dolls House Emporium that doesn't work in the US, and since you're the only one I "know" in the UK who likes miniatures, do you want it? I hate to throw it out, and I realized months after I bought it that it wouldn't work in the US, so I can't return it. I would be happy to pay for shipping it to you so it has a good home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Penelpoe, that's very kind of you. How about we do a swap for something? I'd feel better about accepting a gift from you if I could return the kindness. Drop me a mail at pepper03@hotmail(dot)co(dot)uk if you're interested
      =0)

      Delete
  29. Hello,
    Do you have/ are you willing to share a vector file of your puzzle template? I am trying to make a family Christmas present, but can only find puzzles with small numbers of pieces. I would appreciate your help.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course Leah. Please contact me via my email link at the top of my blog and I'll send you the file =0)

      Delete