Sunday, 30 September 2012

Where there's a will, there's a way

My home is in the middle of farm land and as such I tend to get a variety of visitors to my garden. One visitor made me think of how ingenious people, and animals can be. Necessity is indeed the Mother of invention.

This little...well actually large rodent was not put off in the least by the fact that I put food, high above the ground, for the birds.


 I watched in amazement as he clambered from bush to tree in order to get to the bird feeder. Ingenious! =0)

This got me to thinking.

I often find that inspiration comes in many guises. Take for example tin foil. Yes, that humble item that you use to wrap up leftover turkey. A few months ago I was sending out a modern duvet cover set with a bed I had made. The duvet cover, no matter how much I tried, looked as if it was floating above the bed instead of hanging naturally over the mattress. Ordinarily I would use a lot of embroidery pins to hold the cover into place so that it looked staged and realistic. Cue my Husband wrapping sandwiches for his lunch.

So I made a simple pocket out of fabric - cut a square of tin foil (which I had folded three times to give it strength) and a thin piece of padding, slightly smaller than the size of the pocket.


Once you place the foil and padding inside and sew the pocket up, the padding and foil stay in place.


Now  I can fold and manipulate the duvet cover so that it hangs more realistically. It can be easily flattened into shape and then folded again depending on whether you want an untidy, ruffled bed or a nice smooth look.

My second smack of inspiration came to me as I was soaking in the bath. As is often the case, I tend to replicate things in miniature from around my own home. I decided to copy my electric scroll saw. I measured and re-sized, managed to make the pieces and it was the simplest of things that stumped me. My life-size scroll saw had a sticker on it. Now I'm all for saving money. I could have bought specialty paper, used a printer and made my own. But in my bathroom I found an array of sticky labels on the back of shampoo and aftershave bottles.


The word 'Prestige' actually came from the back of an aftershave bottle. The labels are really sticky so they're great for using on miniatures. It's just a case of finding the words you need and carefully cutting them out.

Well I better get back to work. No rest for the wicked ;0)

Have a great day

Pepper =0)

52 comments:

  1. Fab idea, I have the same issue and have always wondered how to get them to lye down properly. Amazing ideas and work as always.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      I've tried a few things but the foil seems to work best

      Delete
    2. Pepper, just found you and I must say YOU ARE SOOOO CREATIVE & TALENTED! Thank you sooo very much for sharing your genius!
      I've just started in miniatures & have learned more from your post than I have anywhere else. I am truly grateful... Ree.

      Delete
  2. Neat tricks. I would never have thought of tin foil. I alway's use very thin wire that I saw into the fabric to manipulate it.
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never heard of using wire until you mentioned it. I may use that to help get better folds in my curtains. Thank you =0)

      Delete
  3. Wonderful ideas thank you for sharing :) I love your saw fantastic work.
    Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria, you're very kind =0)

      Delete
  4. Oh! es una rata lo que se come el alimento de las aves?
    Gracias por la idea del aluminio y las pegatinas de los frascos
    Un abrazo
    GRACIAS por no tener palabra de verificación

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola Rosamargarita,
      Creo que las ratas se comen cualquier cosa que encuentren. Estoy feliz de que tengo dos gatos y las ratas no pasear a mi casa.=0)

      Delete
  5. What a great idea! I shall have to try this now that I will soon be making bed clothes for my own dolls houses, I had read that wire worked ok, but tin foil, genius!

    the scroll saw looks fantastic too, you are so clever, If I didn't know any better I would assume it was a real one!

    regards
    Andy xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant ideas! Thanks for sharing them. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a clever idea with the tin foil! i would never have thought of that! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent ideas! Especially it was pleasant with a foil, it is so simple and so effective!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Galachi, I'm glad you like it =0)

      Delete
  9. I love the foil idea, it's a wonder it hasn't been used before. I will certainly be putting this one in the memory bank.
    That scroll saw is amazing, I thought it was real life at first glance, second glance too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fi,
      someone somewhere will no doubt have thought of it but I couldn't find it anywhere =0/

      Thanks =0)

      Delete
  10. Excellent idea, Pepper, thank you so much for sharing!! You've cheated me with the saw machine :DD! I thought it was real, hahahahaha!!
    Greetings, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi llona,
      ha-ha, I'm glad I was able to make someone think the saw was real =0P

      Delete
  11. Foil!?!? Brilliant! I will definitely be using that trick, it looks SOOO realistic. Fantastic tips as always!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sweets =0)

      I promise I haven't forgotten the lamp and piece I furniture I owe you..=0/

      Delete
  12. Great ideas, Pepper! Now I'm going to check my labels and grab the tin foil! xo Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer, I always try to save money if I can ;0)

      Delete
  13. Your idea for the tin foil is great, it works so well. And I agree we can often learn things from animals, they too can be quite clever at problem-solving, especially where there is food involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret,
      I'm always amazed at how clever animals are...ingenious at times =0)

      Delete
  14. You are Brilliant! I LOVE the tin foil idea!!! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha-ha. Thank you Daydreamer and no problem =0)

      Delete
  15. Brilliant idea, as usual! It is always inspiring to read your blog after slogging through the day to day business world. Take care, Neen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neen,
      ditto. I love to get home after a day of number crunching and absorb the fabulous inspiration of other blogs. Very inspiring

      =0)

      Delete
  16. Pepper:
    Genius! Pure, unadulterated genius! That is an awsome trick! and the prestige sticker, brilliant.
    Respect!
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha-ha Giac. I'm not Albert Einstein genius but I appreciate the sentiment =0) Thank you

      Delete
  17. brillante idea la del aluminio!!! voy a intentarlo, muchas gracias por compartirla. Me encanta tu blog!! ya soy una seguidora mas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muchas gracias Jorgelina. Me alegro de verte aquí

      =0)

      Delete
  18. Both of those ideas are brilliant. I know that the tin foil ideas is going to come in handy. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Annie,
      Thank you and I'm happy if it helps anyone =0)

      Delete
  19. I am making a craft room for our annual project this year..any chance of buying that saw or another like it??? I also need a toaster oven and I have until next August to have it done..what do you think Pep??? Mini hugs and lots of love!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natasha,
      I have a few items to go into my Etsy store...the saw included, but haven't had time to list them.
      What toaster oven do you have in mind?
      =0)

      Delete
    2. Any simple kind of toaster oven is fine..just a small one for 'baking clay' in her craft room. I really hope I can get to the saw before someone else grabs it! Crossing my fingers! Fondly..

      Delete
  20. Simple ideas are just "great" ideas !!!!! thank you! i love the scroll saw!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Genius! Thanks so much for sharing! Just found your log and I'm hooked!
    Have a great Christmas Pepper, hope to catch you in the new year :D
    Hugs,
    Mins xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is a really good idea with the tin foil! And what a brilliant rat he/she is too, I am very fond of rats, despite the bad press they get :( My blog is named after my first rat Amber, who used to break into that house all the time, she broke the door off to get in there, even when it was taped closed :D

    ReplyDelete