Monday, 7 May 2012

To Sir, with Love

A writer once complained to her friend that she had writers block. The friend answered 'You don't have writer's block---you can still write. Write a shopping list, a note for the milkman but just keep writing anything and everything' I always think of this when inspiration wanders off for a vacation. I can't decide what to put into my miniature shop. The suggestions you gave me made the decision harder because now I want to make everything. So I better get started since 'everything' is going to take a while =0)

In the interest of science, I purchased some EL wire (mentioned in an earlier post) so I could experiment with the miniature neon sign idea. Hey, I wouldn't suggest it to anyone if I couldn't make it myself. I bought an Angel-Hair wire kit and driver from EBay to play with. It seemed the best option since you get five x one metre pieces of EL wire and the driver. I wanted to see how much the wire could be manipulated. It can pretty much be bent into any shape, into very small loops as long as you don't use pliers on it. I tried...crimping the wire between round nosed pliers to see what punishment it could take. The wire didn't snap however there was a gap in the light where I'd damaged the phosphorous coating inside.

 
This is my effort. What I like about the kit is that the inverter can change the light between constant, flashing and strobe. A nice touch I think, if you were planning to use it as a sign outside your mini building

I had a table making spree yesterday. Sometimes it happens like that. I find a piece of wood I like, a colour that takes my fancy and I start building.


I bought this aged oak a long time ago because it looked like it had seen a lot of history (I know how it feels ha!) It's rustic yeah, but I think rustic and modern go together like peas and carrots =0)


 I used this technique recently and decided to make a few more. The top is acrylic. You stick embellishment stickers to the surface, give it a coat with spray paint and then peel the stickers off. The painted side is the underside of the table top so you don't have to worry about scratching the paint surface.


 Here's another table using the same technique. On a side note, I'm seriously considering buying a laser cutting machine. Cutting this table top with a jewelers saw and then polishing the edges with fine paper took over three hours. Oh how simple it would be to have a machine cut the shapes precisely. Anyhoo...

 
This table I HATE! Even with dowels through the legs, it was unsteady so this little guy went into the recycling pile. Live and learn my friends, live and learn.

My hubby picked up this cute jewelry charm for me today. 



It was as a thank you for fixing the heating in our house for £2.25 as opposed to the plumbers estimate of £210 plus VAT. Never trust a plumber who drives around in a 'top-of-the-range' Mercedes Benz, is my motto

Have a great day where ever you are

Pepper =0)

 





Dedicated to John Stokoe
1962-2012

28 comments:

  1. I love your sign - it's excellent:) Love all your tables but especially the first two and I would love to try the technique on your second table :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope you do try the technique...it's fun =0)

      Delete
  2. Que maravilla de mesas son todas fantasticas.
    besitos ascension

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I absolutely love the sprayed pieces! Those look so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The tables are great. I see lots of opportunities for the "neon" signs. I love the round table with the chairs, a lovely set.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words Drora =0)

      Delete
  5. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!

    Love the sign, and the tables, and the elephant charm!! I was wondering how small the neon sign would be and how flexible, seems you've got it quite small, and I like the loopy text. I am thinking that whatever you decide on the shop, it might well have a bit of neon on it somewhere!! ;)

    great work once again!!

    Andy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Andy. The wire was surprisingly pliable. I think the shop may end up looking like Vegas if I'm not careful
      =0*

      Delete
  6. As a BIG fan of rustic and modern---I love that table, man! Also dig the Saarinen. Ohh wee! Open an etsy shop. Open an etsy shop. Ever feel like you keep hearing the same thing? I like these how-to tips even though we both know I'll never be brave enough to try them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An Etsy shop you say? Hmm, there's a thought =0D

      Delete
  7. The acrylic tables are fab Carol! Yes I agree with Modern MC...sell them babies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're really too kind Jazzi. I think I'll leave the selling to the Artisans

      Delete
  8. Love it! Every bit of it :)
    That black acrylic table is to die for.
    I've been thinking of a laser cutter but have no idea how to find one that is reliable that I can afford. Definitely on my wish list.
    I hope you get one so you can let us know how great it is! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daphne
      I've been quizzing HPC in the UK about their laser cutters. Really expensive and I don't know if I can justify the cost to my other half =0/ Maybe Santa? =0D

      Delete
  9. I love watching your experiments, Carol. Thanks for sharing! :-) Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer. It's really nice of you to say =0)

      Delete
  10. Hi Carol! I love the modern and the rustic too, so I guess I love your peas and carrots ;)!! The tables are gorgeous, what a fabulous idea! I put it on my list to do, when I close my expo at the end of the month.
    You've got a lovely charm of your hubby. Thanks again for sharing!
    Greetings, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Ilona *big wave from the UK*

      Delete
  11. Ahh,I've a 1:12 scale crush on your tables, so lovely! haha
    The love light is fab too, you've inspired me to get more adventerous with the mini electrics!
    Kat x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kat. Seriously...have a go. You have the mad skills to do anything mini =0)

      Delete
  12. I like your attitude towards the little square table, ánd to the flashy plumber :) You sensible woman! And you rock the rest, tables and neon... wicked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Debora, praise indeed =0D

      I'll happily pay for good service but flashy plumbers taking the mickey out of me because he thought 'oh, a woman..she won't know anything about heating' GRRRrrr!

      Delete
  13. huhuhu!!! i love love everything (REALLY even that table that you 'junked' WHY?!?!?!?)!!! i too keep dreaming about owning a laser machine (and a lathe, and a drill press, and a 3D printer.....)

    you probably know about this already, but you can build yourself a pocket laser machine (i know you have the skeelz for it huhuhu)

    http://www.instructables.com/id/Pocket-laser-engraver/

    meep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Cindy. Well the table - like you, I'm a perfectionist. I like things to work the way they should in real scale. Oh man, a 3D printer...the possibilities!=0D
      *dream on*

      Delete
  14. That neon sign is ingenious. You know I'm partial to the black desk, but the rustic table is just dreamy and the white is subtly gorgeous. You = Artisan. Please don't laugh at what I send you, my skills have a far way to go to. I will finish by June. It's in writing now so I can't renege. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there MD. I would never laugh at anyone's efforts and I doubt your ideas will be anything less than awesome! Gawd...June. I still have two items to make and get to you. Best pull my finger out =0/

      Delete