Saturday, 26 May 2012

Say cheese!

At the risk of sounding like a stuck record, I've been extremely busy lately. Well, aren't we all? It's a constant juggle - family, friends, work.
DIY and the garden have my attention at present. The near constant rain in Britain has bogged off for once and the gardens are exploding with bloom. I can normally gauge how unfit I've become by how much my muscles ache after a spot of weeding. Instant pain - not a good sign. Aches after a few days - not so bad. No pain at all and I'm ready for the Olympics. So the fact that even my eyebrows seem to ache means a subscription to the gym and a padlock on the biscuit barrel =0)

The only thing I've managed to do in miniature is something that I've been able to sneak into work and do when I've had some down time. That's the beauty of small things...I can sit and carve with a manicurist file and people think I'm tending to my fingernails which, ironically, look like they belong to a coal miner ha!

I've wanted to make a camera for some time now since I couldn't find an accurate 12th scale copy anywhere. Technology is my Achilles heel in miniature. I find them very hard to emulate since the full scale versions are often formed and cast by computerized manufacture. That sort of precision is often far and beyond me.


This is the result










and just to give you a sense of scale in comparison with my own full size camera



Surprisingly, it was the tripod that gave me the most trouble. The legs are three different diameters of aluminium tubing inserted into each other and easily damaged. I think on reflection, stainless steel would have been better.

The cameras are just a selection of styrene shaped and glued together. I wanted the lenses to look as realistic as possible so the 'glass' is actually a slice from the end of a 5mm led lamp.

Hm, what else. Oh yes, I purchased these stunning designer bags after a recommendation from Brae .


 If you want to see more of these wonderful bags, drop by DollhouseAra on Etsy. They are extremely well made and in perfect scale.

Right, better get back to work

Enjoy the rest of the weekend

Pepper =0)





















34 comments:

  1. Your camera is fantastic and the tripod well im lost for words,id love to see a collection of old cameras in miniature there the kind of objects that make people want to pick them up and observe them more closely.Fantastic work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony. A collection of old cameras would be pretty cool =0)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you so much sognatriceabordo =0)

      Delete
  3. The cameras look fantastic, and the fiddly tripod was well worth all your effort too. They look good with your miniature photographs too.

    I love those bags, very nice!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy. I always think the bigger the pain something is to make, the more you appreciate the finished product.

      Ha, you didn't spot me in my pinafore dress in the photos then? I think I was about 5 yrs old =0)

      Delete
  4. You did a great job on the cameras and the tripod! It looks very realistic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Troy. I really appreciate your comments =0)

      Delete
  5. All I can say is WOW! These are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Mad For Mod *bear hug* =0)

      Delete
  6. Very impressive! The camera is incredible, and the tripod could be used for so many other things, such as an artist easel or floor lamp base. I would love a tutorial on how you built it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neen. I'll do a tutorial shortly =0)

      Delete
  7. Wow! The camera and tripod are incredible--what beautiful work, Carol! Congratulations on a job well done! :-) Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these cameras and that tripod is just beyond awesome!!!! Glad you found some bags. I agree - they are so well made. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brae and Thanks for giving us a heads-up about the bags. They are wonderful =0)

      Delete
  9. Wow! What a fab job. Also fallen in love with the little, 'pom pom' rug, did you make that too?! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Four Little Walls. Yeah, the rug is just the tiny pom-poms you get from a craft shop, glued to a fabric base =0)

      Delete
  10. The cameras and the tripod are stunning! The bags are very beautiful.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful! and the bags are fantastic.
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The bags really are lovely =0)

      Delete
  12. Great and fantastic job. The bags are fabulous.
    Bye Faby

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Pepper,
    Oncew again, great job. The camera is terrific and very well done. It looks very realisitc. While I love the classic antique miniature pieces, I have a greatd eal of respect and admirtation for well done modern pieces, and it's clear from what you've shared with us on this blog no one figures out how to do modern better then you.
    Have a wonderful week, and I hope the pain goes away soon.
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Giac. Hope you have a great week too =0)

      Delete
  14. Oh Pepper! Phenomenal. I agree with you that it is hard to find realistic modern electronics/technology for 1:12 endeavors. You seriously floor me with your wicked ways!! Ha! You are the official "Artisan Bad Ass". It's your skills, use of materials and overall problem solving that makes your handmade items so on point time and time again. I greatly admire your strut. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey MMC,
      you make me laugh so much. Official Artisan Bad Ass...I think I may get that printed on a t-shirt =0)

      Delete
  15. Hi...I am stunned! The Camera and the tripod are so Gorgeous, so realistic and perfect work! Congrats!
    The Bags are wonderful!
    Hugs
    Kikka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kikka, I'm glad you like them all =0)

      Delete
  16. Fantastic! Love your cameras. And beautiful bags.
    I`m working in the garden too.
    (Have sent you a mail)
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't believe that you carved them yourself, good job and I like the tri pod too

    like everyone else I too am working in the garden

    Love
    Marisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an amazing job you've done - stunning:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. So unbelievably believable. The scale is spot on (as always) but this blows every mini tripod out of the water. Well done, and I'll take the biscuit barrel off your coal miner hands. Too funny!

    ReplyDelete