Sunday, 29 April 2012

Just chillin'

I've been a lazy mare recently. I've spent the best part of last week watching films from my 'must-see' list, eating far to much chocolate chip Brioche than is good for anyone and reading. I purchased Joe Fig's book - 'Inside the Painter's studio'. His miniature sculptures are fabulous.

On the miniature front, I've done very little.

Since the shop I'm building is pretty small, I wanted to make the interior appear as spacious as possible. I decided to alter the MDF stair case that I got with the shop.


The riser is a 15mm 'slice' from the 70mm wide MDF stair from the kit. I wanted the treads to mimic the colour of the floor so I used mahogany stained with dark oak.



 Although the stairs take up the same physical  area as the original, I'm hoping the gaps between will give the impression of space.

Once I got the bottom and top tread measured and in place, I used a steel rule clamped against them to act as a guide. Every other tread was glued up to the rule to keep them flush.



I have some vague ideas about a stair railing to stop miniature people falling to their death =0) Maybe a partition in glass. It will come to me in the end.

Oh, someone asked about the lighting in this joint. Since the flooring is self adhesive contact paper, I had to keep the surface as flat as possible. Usually with hard wiring, you would run the lighting wires along grooves in the floor of a room, (drilling holes to allow the light fitting to hang down into the room below) and cover the wires with 'floor boards' (or similar). These lights are mounted to the 'ceiling' side. The LED's that I've used are tiny and can be easily hidden. Before gluing the building together, I made a plan of where I wanted the lights and cut channels into the ceiling with a chisel.



After they were set in place, I covered the ceiling with heavy (1:1) scale lining paper. Once the paper had dried, it pulled taught over the channels so the ceiling was smooth. One thing I will mention with these types of LED --- they give off a huge amount of light and can run on a 12v battery. However, any bare wires at the back of the LED emit a lot of heat. It's advisable to cover any bare wires with heat shrink, which insulate the LED against your building. The last thing you want is to call the mini fire brigade out and have them douse your pride and joy with water =0(.

Okay, I better get off my backside and do something. This Brioche isn't going to eat itself Ha!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend

Pepper =0)

28 comments:

  1. Hi Carol, I am a bit jealous about the chocolate: me is forbidden by the doctor :(
    About the leds "the heat of bare wires", thanks for the warning! I did not thought about that, because I was planning to put some leds into a Japanese tearoom, that I am building for a friend.
    Bye, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey IIona. Sorry about the chocolate =0/. The Doc knows best eh!

      Delete
  2. Hi Carol,

    The stair case looks very good, just right, and it does make teh room look more spacious. Thanks for teh tip about lighting with LEDs, where do you get them from, I've not seen them for sale before. Also the heat shrink, where do you buy that?

    look forward to more soon, enjoy the brioche!! ;)

    regards
    Andy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Andy,
      it took me ages to find those LED's. We always seem behind with innovation in the UK *tsk*

      I bought mine from Phenoptix - http://www.phenoptix.com/index.php/surface-mount-smd.html
      You can get heat shrink from most electrical shops. Try here - http://www.hilltop-products.co.uk/heat-shrink-single-wall/hsp3/hsp3-1-5-0-5mm.html#.T52aVdlLq8A

      Delete
  3. I love the stairs. It really does make things look more open and the lighting...FAB! As for the chocolate...it's my friend and nemesis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you think so too.

      Chocolate...nomnomnomnom =0)

      Delete
  4. Oh. It makes me so sad to hear about folks struggling. I would be happy to help you with that brioche - if I lived a little closer. :-)

    What a great idea for the stairs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha-ha. Sandra, you are welcome to some Brioche if ever you pop over to the UK. I'll put the kettle on =0)

      Delete
  5. Great idea on those steps Pepper!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The stairs are incredibly beautiful. That empty space makes me drool a bit and makes me twitchy. I would love to play around in that space. You've got great taste.
    BTW, I've never had chocolate chip brioch, but I have been having an extended affair with a love by the name of Croissant Bread Pudding. This lovely French friend always makes me say "Oui" whenever we meet at La Boulange. HA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha-ha-ha-ha. You make me laugh out loud so much MMc =0)

      Delete
  7. Your stair are fantastic! Thanks for sharing how you made them. :D
    I appreciate the LED tip too. I will be working on lights soon myself.
    Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathi. I'll look forward to seeing your lights in action.
      Have a great day too =0)

      Delete
  8. Hello Pepper,
    I think the staircase looks awsome. You do modern extremely well! The lighting is also great, the entire room is very effective.
    Personally, I don't believe in such a thing as too much chocolate chip brioche!
    Have a great week,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like these stairs. Very original.
    Bye Faby

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha your post reminds me of, (I don't know if you've seen it, therefore underdstand the reference) when Monica won't let Phoebe play with her Aunt's dollhouse so Phoebe makes her own awesome dollhouse out of cardboard and it has an aromatherapy room, in whic she burns incense. When she gets home one day Ross is like, "There's been a fire. We believe it began in the aromatherapy room." And Phoebe's dollhouse and burned down! It was so funny! If you haven't seen it- it's a good one. (Friends)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I totally get the epsiode you mean. It's hilarious =0)

      Delete
  11. Esa escalera ha sido una fantastica idea!. Me gusta mucho la ilumnación con LEDs, gracias por el aviso sobre las precauciones a tener en cuenta...Un beso

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias María, me alegro que te guste =0*

      Delete
  12. A pleasure to read your funny post :)
    Your stairs is looking great!
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad you are thinking of a railing to stop the mini people falling to their mini deaths... I am petrified of heights and stairs like these along with any flooring you can see through makes me weak in the knees and want to puke... So avoid mini vomit! :D
    That is all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, me too Q. I had nightmares when I was a kid about slipping between the treads on these sorts of stairs. I'll keep an eye out for vomit puddles ha =0)

      Delete
  14. Brilliant as always! I think I have a set or two of similar stairs collecting dust as I didn't know how to add them to a modern abode. I was going to ebay them, but now I will totally save them to do this tutorial. FABULOUS!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your stairs are fabulous. We just purchased a used dollhouse for our granddaughter and the stairs are missing. We have been trying to find a pattern for stairs and I fell in love with your plan! Thank you for sharing. We will have a very happy little girl Christmas DAy!!!

    ReplyDelete