Sunday, 22 April 2012

Always look on the bright side of life ♪♫♪

Do you ever have one of those days?
Of course you do. Making or owning miniatures seems synonymous with the sort of mishaps that plague our hobby. This morning I was carefully wrapping an item for postage when I fumbled it and it fell to the floor. My initial euphoria from it surviving the fall quickly turned to horror when a size 10 boot attached to the end of my husbands leg landed on said miniature.


I actually burst out laughing at the ridiculousness of the situation. Me being so gentle with the parcel that I let go of it---my Husband stepping backwards into a room?? 
Despite this, I'm a 'glass half full' sorta gal and things like this don't often phase me. Which is a good attitude to have when you're as habitually clumsy as I am. It got me thinking about the 'Murphy's Law of miniaturists'

~Any tiny thing that you drop will always coordinate perfectly with the colour of your floor

~Dropped items inevitably find their way under cookers, washing machines or other domestic appliances of similar weight

~There is no comparable pain to that which you feel when stepping onto a lego brick in bare feet

~Visitors will always call when you are in the middle of gluing, soldering or painting but never  at a time when you need help shifting a dead weight up three flights of stairs

~Lights always work up until the point they are permanently installed in the hardest to reach nook of you dollhouse

~You will discover the perfect miniature accessories or dollhouse after the company making them has closed down

I'm sure there are a dozen more examples =0)

So this afternoon I decided to step away from anything sharp or pointy (just in case) and spend a few hours on the net. I often lurk around the model train sites for ideas. I stumbled (literally Ha!) across this fabulous site Miller Engineering Have you ever seen working miniature street signs like it? If so, why on earth didn't you tell me about it? Mind=blown.

I'm already considering the cool neon signs you could make with the EL wire kits

from this...


 to this....

How cool would this look outside your miniature bar?



Enjoy the rest of your weekend

Pepper =0)



25 comments:

  1. Hi Pepper! That's a really funny story and list. You definitely gave me a chuckle. I'm celebrating 1 year of blogging with 8 giveaways. Giveaway #7 is some modern-style minis. Welcome! :-) Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. How ironic, I discovered the exact same thing last night! I also found (after being on the internet way too long)that you can buy a mini inverter with the neon wire and make your own sign for about 1/4-1/3 of the price although the kit seems a easier and therefore may be worth the price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey M4M,
      I've been googling uk companies all day to find EL wire components. I may give it a go from scratch. If all fails I think the kit will be plan B

      Delete
    2. I saw some on Amazon US, maye they will have it in the UK.

      Delete
  3. Hi Pepper! Oh, for sure there are more examples of "disturbing"...
    I agree/recognize every point above during making miniatures ;)! About the neon signs: thanks for sharing!
    Greetings, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi IIona,
      there are times when I wonder why I put myself through it. Especially when I'm lying on the floor for an hour trying to find something I've dropped =0)

      Delete
  4. Totalmente de acuerdo en el tema miniaturas, perder una pieza y encontrarla al cabo del tiempo entre otras jajajaja.
    No conocía lo del letreros de neón, es alucinante.
    Mil gracias
    Saludos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Golly! Your list is too true. I certainly have experienced one and five! Here's one to add - you only measure wrong when you have just one last piece of that particular molding or wallpaper in your house.

    Grandma Holly's House carries some miniature neon light kits, too. They look fun, although I haven't tried one myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true...and then you can't match the paper/moulding ha!

      Thanks for the link =0)

      Delete
  6. You did make me chuckle, but not before wincing at the full horror of a crushed miniature!! Poor you!

    The miniature neon is brilliant, I love it, would be great for so many different miniatures, I wonder just how flexible it really is? how small do you think could you get the writing?

    regards
    Andy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wondering the same thing Andy. The thinnest I've found is 1.3mm at EL Wire UK and I'm intrigued at how much it can be manipulated. I think that's going to be next on my to-do list =0)

      Delete
  7. NO WAY!!!

    Crushed miniature after an excellent drop! You are a better girl than I.........perhaps trawling the net is a good idea as I love your new find. NO WAY came to mind then too as in WAY you should totally do that. (oh dear, I think I just channelled some beanie wearing teenager)

    Any WAY, I completely relate to all of the above, especially as I have just been replying to the comments on my blog and I CANT reply to Iris, my blog wont let me grrrrrrr!! So I thought I would come and check out what you were doing......glad i did, it gave me a laugh!

    Fi x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fi. I'm rubbish at any sports where you have to catch anything ha-ha. Blog stuff has me totally baffled too sometimes. I feel your pain =0(

      Delete
  8. Oh my goodness! I find this so funny. Yes, there are those really "fantastic" moments in miniature. I'm always looking under the island for miniature cups. You'd think The Borrowers lived here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel and Hardy have nothing on us =0D

      If the plates and saucers go missing too then I would definitely say the Borrowers are having a tea party

      Delete
  9. Everyone will agree to your story today Carol...Murphy's Law definitely applies on a regular occurrence in mini world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jazzi. That makes me feel a little less clumsy =0)

      Delete
  10. How cool would this look outside your miniature bar?
    Truly amazing. But what about the interior of the pub?Post some picture of the interior.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tam Toum. I certainly will =0)

      Delete
  11. Funny and true :) Thanks for the link.
    And thank you so much for your clarifying comment on my blog, really appreciate you taking the time!
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is so incredible. I don't know why someone didn't come up with something like this sooner. I've never seen miniature neon lighting before.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahh amazing!! may have to try to get my mitts on some of those wires!! Thank you for sharing! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Apologies, I have been awal. The list is hilarious. Even though you told me about the boot incident, there I was sitting on the floor in front of my antrim arranging all of the fab goodies you sent, and I placed the lamp next to me... got distracted by my kids... stood up and as I stepped on it, remembered your story. Luckily, with years of Lego dodging experience, I let my weight give out and fell to the floor instead without leaving a scratch on it. PHEW!!! I'll post pictures tonight. I would have been mortified if I had crushed it. Thanks gawd. More to come. :D

    ReplyDelete