Monday, 6 February 2012

Something new

Today I had one of those days that threw up more questions than answers. Like, what happens to the prototype miniatures that furniture designers make?




Whilst perusing one of my favourite sources of inspiration I happened across an article about two modern furniture designers, Jurgen Laub and Markus Jehs. The first thing I notice from the article is the picture of of them both working on their designs in miniature. When the designs go to full scale production, do the models just sit on a shelf somewhere? Am I missing out on a secret auction site that only the insanely rich and famous are privy to or is this just me being overly optimistic about another avenue for buying modern miniatures? Inquiring minds need to know...


Elle Decoration used a mini room as an illustration this month. I actually squeeed a little, thinking that Elle were following trend, launching a modern miniature challenge that would inevitably attract more people to the hobby. Sadly the article wasn't at all miniature related.
  
Nevermind. 
I managed to get a new idea from scribble to reality today. It's rare for me to make something in one go but this had niggled for so long that something had to give.


The cupboard is made from Rosewood with opaque plastic inserts to mimic frosted glass. The reason for the 'glass' is so you get a hint of what's contained within when the lights are on...


The doors don't open, purely to hide the led light strip and wiring (which is tucked against the top panel). However there's a false back that is removable so you can place something inside if you wanted to give it that 'display cabinet' type of look. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. Even happier that it's finished and ticked off the 'attempt' list.

Have a great day/evening/morning *delete according to applicable time zone

Pepper =0)

21 comments:

  1. Very cool! The lighting was a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the cabinet with the lights - job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just Amazing !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Genius! Where do you find all the wonderful woods you use? They are so nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there cowboybunny,
      Good question and something I never thought to mention *doh*. I'll make a 'where to buy' post soon.

      Delete
  5. i saw this first on your flickr, and boy oh boy, COVET?!?! you have such fantastic skill and ideas! beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Covet? Really?
      Hmmm, have I got time to make a double before posty day Saturday? *grins*

      Delete
    2. nonono i covet WAAY too many things, fufufufu :P it's a neverending list! :D :D :D would you mind if i ripped the idea off you though, i wanna practice some woodworking! :D

      Delete
    3. Of course you can use the idea. Good luck with the woodwork =0)

      Delete
  6. Hi Pepper,

    Thanks for your advice regarding the wood. I googled the website but it was 40 pounds to have it posted. You did however help me with the correct wording to google. I had been searching hobby woods with only balsa wood coming up. After looking at this website I tried specialty woods and bingo! I now have a local place to get my wood. So thank you for steering me in the right direction.

    Your furniture looks great. The lighting is a great effect. So professional I can only hope to meet your standards.

    Fi x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Fi,
      glad I could help and thanks for the kind words =0)

      Delete
  7. Your "attempts" are masterpieces. This sideboard looks phenomenal. I love the lighting too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Regarding the mini prototypes = I think they keep them on their shelf. Aren't they selfish as hell??
    Chuckles!
    MC

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a lovely home!!! i like it.

    greetings Petra

    ReplyDelete