Wednesday, 1 June 2011

Take a seat - Part 2

Okay, so now you have your sofa frame, this will take you through how I cover mine in fabric. Choose whatever fabric you like...try to make it a light weave otherwise you may have problems folding it. 

For the sake of those who don't want to sew or don't have access to a sewing machine, I'm using wonderweb which is the stuff used to make hems in clothing. All you need is a hot iron to set it. If you want to sew the fabric, fill your boots. These tutorials are just how I like to make stuff and aren't meant as the definitive answer to miniature making =0)

To attach the fabric to the frame I'm using high tack double sided tape. This tape is the sort used to hold rugs to floors and I've never had a problem with the fabric coming loose. Use glue if you prefer, but make sure it doesn't seep through the fabric. Put the double-sided tape on either side of the arms and on the small edge of the back of the sofa. Stick your fabric to it and trim the overlapping edges with a sharp craft knife

If you're using the same dimensions I've used for the frame, you now need to cut two 24mm strips and one 160mm strip out of your fabric. They need to be at least 220mm long

Fold the two 24mm strips in half and rub across with your finger, then fold again so the edges meet.

The 'wonderweb' I have is 20mm wide so it's a perfect size for this tutorial. Cut it in half, place it in the middle of the strips and iron with a hot iron so that each edge is folded into the middle. This is going to hide the rough edges on the finished sofa

I've used a bulldog clip to hold one end on the ironing board. This gives you a free hand to hold the fabric whilst you iron
With the larger piece of material, you need to turn over 10mm at either edge. Use half (10mm) of the 'wonderweb' to make the seam

Now you should have three pieces of fabric with nice, neat edges
 Stick some double sided tape around each of the arms on your frame. Make sure the tape doesn't hang over the sides...you're trying to achieve a clean look to the sofa. Start with the thinner strips underneath the sofa frame. Attach the fabric around the arm and trim the excess

Now for the larger piece of fabric. This is going to wrap from the bottom of the sofa, under the cushion, over the back and to the bottom again. Start at the front. Put double-sided tape across the length of the sofa but not over the fabric covering the arms (if that makes sense)

Now attach one end of the fabric till you have this (pictured below)
Put more double-sided tape along the edges so that it runs along the arms, up and over the back of the sofa and back to your original starting position. If you want the sofa back to look padded, you can put a rectangle of filler under the fabric to give it that effect. The filler I use is the stuff that goes into the middle of sleeping bags. You can use pretty much anything ~ folded tissue paper ~ cotton wool pads.


 Once you've stuck the fabric all of the way around, trim any excess off.

I've covered the cushion with exactly the same method as the sofa frame. Use the tape to attach the fabric to the top and bottom, making sure you leave a little bit hanging over the edges

  Depending on the thickness of the cushion, make a band that will cover the edges all the way around. Again, use 'wonderweb' or similar to get that clean edge. Use the double-sided tape to stick the band of fabric to the cushion, starting at the back (this is so you don't see the join in the fabric)

Almost done now =0) *Phew* Choose whatever 'feet' takes your fancy. You can use jewelry bead, wooden legs...anything. I've used round chrome beads to make the sofa look contemporary. Just glue them to the base of the sofa and you are finished.

This is my finished sofa.

Hope you enjoyed the tutorial and if you follow it to make your own design, send me a link to the picture. I would love to see what ideas you come up with

Til next time
                    Pepper =0)

33 comments:

  1. This tutorial is fantastic and so helpful! Thanks for sharing your ideas and techniques!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marvelous! I made a sofa using kitchen sponges (new ones dried out) as the basis. That was before I put together a kit sofa that used this wonder web type of stuff. It does work so much better. I think I might have to redo my sofa. :D Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great ideas!! it looks just wonderfull!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful sofa! And you make it seem so easy that even I who am all fingers and thumbs when it comes to real handiwork am tempted (I must stress just tempted) to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, I was going to do something that is *life productive* tonight. Guess what I will be doing instead?!

    Making this fabulous couch! This is a really GREAT tutorial. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a cool sofa. I love your tutorials. You make it look so easy. Hmm...I actually do have hem tape around here...perhaps I'll try...

    ReplyDelete
  7. KYAAA makes me wanna rush out and get me some materials to make them now! thank you so much! ^ ^

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Anarniel. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Otterine. Great idea on the kitchen sponges. I'll have to pop over and have a look at your design

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Anna, that's very kind =0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey there Pubdoll. Ya know, your scenes are so inspiring I can't believe you wouldn't do well making your own furniture. I might have to buy you a saw for Christmas *grins*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Lyssa. Glad the tutorial is helpful. You will show off your design so I can see it won't you?

    ReplyDelete
  13. LMAO Modern MC. I swear by all that is good and miniature that I will get you building something from scratch one of these days =0)
    Saying that, you already put together household items that look really fabulous in your scenes.
    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Snowfern. Thank you and please do make one. I know yours would be funky cool! =0)

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG! This tutorial is totally amazing! Thanks for sharing.

    -Michele
    <a href="http://seedollyrun.blogspot.com>SeeDollyRun</a>

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow. That is fabby. I think I need a dolls house.

    ReplyDelete
  17. great modern piece and good easy to follow tutorial! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh wow, Thanks so much for the easy to follow tutorial! I Am definite not a sewing expert so your wonderweb idea is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great tips! Love your red sofa! I'm going to try your tutorial real soon. Thanks for sharing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great tutorial with clear instructions for this lovely sofa. I made an overstuffed armchair in slightly larger scale for a 16" Ellowyne doll. It's here on Flickr -
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/8113246@N02/6252257175/in/set-72157605400052407/

    Thanks again - Pinké in Houston

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the tutorial, so well done.
    http://skalaminimal.blogspot.se/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, where can I find the part 1 of this tutorial? Please and thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vicky,
      the first part of this tutorial is the previous post here
      http://mitchymoominiatures.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/take-seat-part-1.html

      =0)

      Delete
  23. Hi Pepper, I made the sofa following your excellent tutorial
    picture on my blog. http://veemerica.blogspot.nl/
    Mini hugs,
    Veronique

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have seen a few tutorials on making your own sofa, but this one is excellent and by fat the best!! Thanx so much for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Absolutely great tutorial! Can be adapted to anything, e.g.
    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/402016704210421540/

    Thanks....

    ReplyDelete
  26. Is This for an american girl doll. .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marcus, this couch is measured for 1:12 scale, so a six inch figure. If an American Doll scale is 1:3 scale, you need to multiply the measurments of the tutorial by 4. Hope this helps =0)

      Delete
  27. Thanks for taking the time to post pics and steps!!!! You rock!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. wow!! reaaly liked this so gave it a go, made a sofa and an arm chair, pleased with the results!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you for the tutorial. Here's what it looks like. https://instagram.com/p/BYJIhI1l_c2/

    ReplyDelete