Friday, 6 May 2011

Formica-ly a sample, now a table

Work was pretty slow today so I managed to finish the office table I was constructing with Formica samples. I've set it in a sort of 'Ode to a miniaturist' type of scene. Some other miniaturist I would like to add because if I was mimicking my own work area there would be a lot more mess, two sorry looking cats covered in sawdust and a disgruntled Husband in the shot.


I eventually decided on embroidery pin heads for the handles. I sorta liked the blocks of uninterrupted  colour over something silver. Any thoughts?

 
What else did I do today? *rubs chin thoughtfully* Oh yes, I paid my local DIY store a visit and found a couple of life size wallpaper samples that I could use for miniature scenes. Another freebie yay!. It's amazing how generous a store can be, allowing you to take a 12 inch sample of wallpaper, when they think you're going to spend a fortune (£30 a roll) to decorate a full size room. Well I didn't lie...technically...I did want to see how it would look in my room *grins*.

Hmm, the rest of the day I flicked through a fabulous blog Desire to Inspire which is brimming with photographs of modern/contemporary homes. If modern is your thing, drop in and take a look because there are several hundred pages of inspirational scenes to drool over. Apart from that, same old, same old =0)


Well, there's a tall glass of Southern Comfort, lemon and lime beckoning so I'm off. Ahhh heaven. A drink, a huge bar of chocolate and Mr Darcy on the TV.

Have a great weekend all
                                           Pepper  



Scene: 'Wallpaper' is Ikea place mat, hammer and scissors made by the amazing miniaturist~ Danny Shotton, rest of the props made by me



22 comments:

  1. The desk is very cool I like the handle drawer clean look.Do you use an electric saw for the Formica samples? I have so many of them but no experience in carpentry! Any suggestions?
    Neomi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man you are GOOD.

    Any chance you'd like to be my next swap partner?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Neomi.
    I do have a table top proxxon saw but the good thing about Formica is that you can score it along a ruler with a craft knife and it snaps pretty cleanly. You would just need to sand the edge to make it neat.(you could use a manicure file to do that) Just score the Formica (on the coloured side) a couple of times and snap it against a straight edge like a table or worktop =0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi TSS,
    Thank you, praise indeed =0}

    What's a swap partner? *naive* =0/ and how long do I get to make something? Do I just make something for you and vice versa?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Pepper
    Thats what I've done so far minus the sanding....
    Thanks Expert!
    Neomi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Magnificent scene ! The dashboard the hammer ...
    How you made the legs of the office table?

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE this! Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Tam toum =0)

    Thanks CS =0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous desk, I really like the coloured drawer fronts and to have the handles in the same colour was the perfect choice! I stopped at Ikea on Saturday and saw this placemat, but didn't buy it. Now I think I regret it, it looks good there! Love all your little accessories too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fab scene! Love the table! I don't know who this miniaturist is, but they are very tidy ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dude! I am so excited to see your blog! Heard about it at the San Francisco mini meet up. Love your scene. Love your stuff... constantly using the tension lamp you made.
    and thanks for listing me Leftcoastmini. Cheers CM

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Pubdoll. I can't pass the homewares aisle without buying placemats ha-ha. I was going to use it as flooring but as you know, we have a terrible shortage of modern miniature wallpaper =0)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Ann. This is a super neat miniaturist...not at all like me =0)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey there CM, glad you dropped by =0)Of course I'm listing your Blog. Your miniatures rock!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Pepper..please start selling items soon.
    The desk is as expected = FABULOUS

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks MMC =0) You're really too kind!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOWWW!! Amazing minis,I love the details,mini regards.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Why did you not tell me about this place? Haven't had time to look at all of it but what I've seen looks brilliant!!! Not that that surprises me, ofcourse! :)
    Speak soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hiya matey, well you know how shy and retiring I am *grins* Thanks for popping in =0)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I still can't get over this desk, it's a thing of beauty, & all the miniature details on & around it are brilliant. Is the cute rug made from tiny pom-poms?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you H.Bean for the lovely comment. Yes, the rug is the teeny pom-poms you get from craft shops, tacky glued to cotton, which in turn is ironed onto Vilene to keep it flat =0)

    ReplyDelete