Sunday, 8 November 2015

Due to budget constraints, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.

I often hear people say that their Dollhouse projects are never truly finished; there's always something that can be added, taken away or moved. With barely five weeks left to the HBS Creatin' Contest build-along deadline, I'm still making adjustment to Fenton Lodge as if I had all the time in the world to ponder my options.
At first I was happy to leave the rear of the build open A La American/Canadian style. But after months of sweeping out dust with a paint brush, I decided enough was enough. Not my finest hour I'll grant you - planning a door after the rest of it is built but meh. Shit happens.
I cut a piece of MDF, routed a channel for some piano hinge, cut out a window so the bathroom won't be in pitch black and attached the hinge on the base of the build (so it opens top to bottom rather than side to side). Because the  MDF is only 6mm, the piano hinge screws came through the other side of the wood. At least I got to use the stone bit on my dremmel tool which has never seen the light of day. Below is a photo my friend took of me filing away the excess of the screws. He said I looked quite manic...

Oooo, sparkles!

Adding doors that are not meant to be there throw up all sorts of problems. For a start, the door is at the back and had to meet a curved roof. The other problem, and one of those things that niggle me about dollhouses, is adding a catch to keep the door shut. They are invariably huge brass affairs that stick out like a sore thumb on the outside of your project.
So I decided to 'thicken' the rear crossbeam of the roof with a strip of wood so the the beam was flush with the door when the door was shut.

To keep the door locked in place so that it doesn't swing open any time it fancies, I added a strip of Mahogany, (matching the front), to the crossbeam which slightly overhangs the door.

Now, the roof keeps the door shut. To open the door you just lift the roof a little and open it pops. My photos probably don't explain this very well but it works.hurrah.

I forgot (or blocked out), just how long it takes to add ship lap and paint everything.

 I was so tired by this point, I started to make mistakes -  I measured the window frame wrong twice then did the same thing with the glass. Ugh.

 Now the whole of the exterior is done I can concentrate on beautifying the interior.

First thing I made was the top cabinet for the kitchen. I wanted it open so that I can display some food and crockery.

The lights are two 3v led's. The wiring isn't pretty but it's hidden inside.

 What else. Oh yes, I realised mini visitors to the lodge had nowhere to store their clothes so I made a modern Armoire. Enough space to store holiday clothes and a bit of bedding. I've made it out of mahogany because I'm trying to keep to a scheme of redwood, darkwood, black and copper.

Next, a table for the bathroom. It is literally the thinnest table I have ever made because of the lack of space. The lodge is filling up fast so some of the furniture needs to be multi-functioning. Ergo the table cum toilet roll holder

It started off as white wood - didn't like it - painted it black - too dark - splashed some silver on it - gave up.

Last item I made came from a visit to a model shop. I saw the ship search lights and thought I bet I can make something with those.

It's made with wooden rod, a model ship search light, jewellery findings and I replaced the bulb with a 3v led. I wish I could find some black dollhouse wire. Sometimes the wiring just looks better in black.

 Very last thing, I purchased some pears and bread for the kitchen from Hungarian Miniatures which are fantastic

Ah, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Someone must have paid the electricity bill

Pepper =0)